My husband Alex had started growing Carolina Reaper Peppers in our garden about six months ago. If you don’t know what a Carolina Reaper Pepper is, it is the hottest Chili pepper in the WORLD with an average of 1,569,300 Scoville Heat Units and peaks to 2.2million. It’s basically 200 times hotter than a Jalapeño Pepper. Once the peppers were ready, we thought we would try and add them into a curry.
The Shrimp Curry has been tried and tested by Alex and he loved it, I am not going to lie, it smelt heavenly but I’m not quite sure the after burn is as heavenly as the smell. So, I thought I would share this recipe with all of you extra spicy curry lovers. If you would like to try this recipe without the heat, you can add everything but the peppers.
Please be extra cautious when handling the peppers because they are EXTREMELY HOT!
SPICY SHRIMP CURRY
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 35 Minutes
- 1 Small Onion
- 1.5 pounds of Peeled, Tail Off Shrimp
- 2 Medium Carolina Reapers
- 1 Tbls of Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tbls of Tumeric
- 1 Tbls of Garam Masala (ground spices)
- 1 Tbls of Cumin Powder
- Salt (to taste)
- Olive Oil (you can use any)
- 3 Tbls of Unsalted Butter
- 2 Garlic Cloves (chopped into tiny chunks)
- In a medium skillet or pan heat some olive oil until it is hot, add in the onions and cook them until they are tender. Using a separate chopping board and knife cut the Carolina Reapers into small chunks removing the stems from the peppers. Add the peppers into the pan and cook them with the onions.
- Add all the spices and the shrimp into the pan and cook them on a medium to low heat. Once the curry has separated from the oil add 3/4 of a Cup of water into the pan, let it cook on low heat for 8-10 mins.
- Turn up the heat to a medium high and keep mixing the shrimp curry. Add in the butter and continue to cook until the sauce has thickened.
- The Shrimp Curry is now ready to eat. Garnish with coriander and garlic, serve with rice or naan.
I hope you guys enjoy it and if you recreate this recipe be sure to tag me on Instagram